By Carolanne Wright
Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
“Everything is energy.” ~ Albert Einstein
Energy medicine is at once time-honored and new. Whether using traditional forms like acupuncture, t’ai chi and reiki or modern applications such as Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT), magnetic, vibrational or music therapy, working with the human energetic system to create wellness is an esteemed practice that produces tangible results.
According to Dr. Erin Olivio in the article Energy Medicine: “The field of energy medicine involving putative energy fields is based on the fundamental premise that all physical objects (bodies) and psychological processes (thoughts, emotions, beliefs and attitudes) are expressions of energy. Therefore, all bodies are believed to be infused with a “subtle” energy or life force. This life force is known by a variety of terms corresponding to different traditions. In traditional Chinese medicine it is called chi (pronounced CHEE), in the Judeo-Christian tradition it is called spirit, and in Ayurvedic medicine it is represented in the doshas.”
What the ancients recognized, science is now validating. Candace Pert, PhD, is one researcher who has significantly contributed to the legitimate study of Mind-Body Medicine.
How emotions affect physiology
“Most psychologists treat the mind as disembodied, a phenomenon with little or no connection to the physical body. Conversely, physicians treat the body with no regard to the mind or emotions. But the body and mind are not separate, and we cannot treat one without the other.” ~ Dr. Candice Pert
In Dr. Pert’s book, Molecules of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine, she explains how a class of proteins called peptides (including endorphins) act as a nervous system, delivering information throughout the body. Her theory is that the surface of each cell is covered with receptors for specific peptides. These free-floating molecules function as messengers. When we have a specific emotion, a cascade of peptides are released that ultimately influence our body.
Paul Trachtman explains how this sequence works in Smithsonian Magazine:
“… it’s through the emotion-modulating peptides that an embarrassing thought can cause blood vessels to dilate and turn a face beet red. In the same way, the molecules of emotion can mobilize immune cells to destroy an incipient tumor. Techniques like meditation or visualization may also act as forces to set those molecules in action.”
The question is: If emotions alter the functioning of the body, how do we experience healing by addressing subconscious negative emotional patterns?
This is the topic of a cutting-edge documentary on Mind-Body Medicine: E-Motion.
The energy of emotions
Leaders in the field of energetic medicine — including Sonia Choquette, Dr. Joe Dispenza, Dr. Bradley Nelson, Don Tolman, and others — explore the connection between emotions, the body and health in the documentary.
Taking into account the subconscious mind is 1000 times more powerful than the conscious mind, we are likely to ask: What actually controls it? The answer lies with unresolved emotions.
When we have traumatic perceptions buried in our subconscious mind, these emotional memories — when triggered — will cause a reaction in the body that sets-off a cascade of stress hormones, thereby altering our physiology.
How are these negative perceptions created? By our thoughts, because thoughts create emotions. And when we feel an emotion strongly enough, it will become trapped and disrupt the energy field of the body. Anger, aggression, anxiety, depression, sadness — these negative emotions will lodge themselves in the body and are the leading cause of physical pain. Eventually, if the blockage isn’t cleared, disease will develop.
Dr. Joseph Mercola provides an example:
“… those suffering from depression will often experience chest pains, even when there’s nothing physically wrong with their heart. Extreme grief can also have a devastating impact — not for nothing is the saying that someone “died from a broken heart.” In the days after losing a loved one, your risk of suffering a heart attack shoots up by 21 times!”
He also points out:
“Your body cannot tell the difference between an actual experience that triggers an emotional response, and an emotion fabricated through thought process alone — such as when worrying about something negative that might occur but has not actually happened, or conversely, thinking about something positive and pleasant.“The fact that you can activate your body’s stress response (which produces chemicals that can make you sick) simply by thinking means that you wield tremendous power over your physical state in every moment. Moreover, it means that you can literally manifest disease, or healing, by thinking.”
Needless to say, in order to enjoy vibrant health, it’s vitally important to release emotional baggage.
Tips on how to ditch toxic emotional imprints
The team of experts in E-Motion believe there are active steps we can take to heal the body, the subconscious mind and our overall health. Here are a few:
- Always remember that our mind is the key to healing.
- Expect good things in life.
- Slowdown when you feel a negative emotion arise and acknowledge it, then honor and release.
- Practice Emotional Freedom Technique. By doing so, we short-circuit damaging energetic patterns from taking hold within the body.
- Be clear about your purpose in life. To discover your calling, answer the question: “If I weren’t afraid, I would …”
- Focus on the color of food to heal the chakra centers. For example, exposure to sunlight + eating pineapple and oranges will help fortify the 2nd and 3rd chakras, which helps alleviate depression.
- Participate regularly in a water fast to clear problematic emotions from the body.
- Learn The Emotion Code technique by Dr. Bradley Nelson to rapidly release stuck emotions.
And finally, never underestimate the healing power of gratitude and liberal self-love.
E-Motion Movie Trailer
Previous articles by Carolanne:
- Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Annihilates Cancer
- The 3-Minute Ayurvedic Secret to Health and Longevity
- Why Every Parent Should Consider Unschooling
- The Greenhouse of the Future: Grow Your Own Food Year-Round With This Revolutionary System
- Is Roundup Driving The Autism Epidemic? Leading MIT Researcher Says YES
- First U.S. City Produces More Electricity Than It Uses — With 100% Renewable Technology
- Dry Skin Brushing Can Strengthen Immunity, Spark Detoxification and Reverse Aging
- Autistic Boy with Higher IQ Than Einstein Discovers Gift After Removal from State-Run Therapy
- Enhance Spiritual, Mental and Physical Well-being with a Pineal Gland Detox
- DIY $2 Self-Watering Garden Bed – Grow Produce Easily, Even in the Toughest Conditions
- How Being Too Clean Can Lead to Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, Celiac Disease and More
Join Wake Up World's Ever Evolving Social Communities